Cathedral of St. Peter School has a rich history and tradition providing quality Catholic education for Rockford families for 10 decades. Students receive a strong faith based education with an emphasis upon a moral foundation that serves as the groundwork for future success. Expectations include:
- Student led weekly Mass
- Community Service
- Religious education on a daily basis
- Grade 1-5 are self-contained
- Grades 6-8 are departmental
Cathedral of St. Peter School offers a challenging academic program with emphasis upon Reading, Language, and Math skills. Beyond the academic challenges students receive instruction in the use of technology as a tool, health/nutrition, and how physical activity daily.
- Core curriculum consists of Religion, Reading, English, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, and Physical Education at all grade levels.
- The primary grade curriculum includes Handwriting, Phonics, and Spelling.
- Special classes include Art, Technology, Foreign Language (Spanish and French), and Music.
- Students in grades 7 and 8 participate in the Illinois History Fair
- Band for grades 5 through 8
- Assistance in Reading and Mathematics
- Speech and Learning Disability screening
- Extended Care program before and after school
- Active Home And School Association
- Community Service
- Parish support for various programs such as Colonial Harvest Festival and Musical
- Annual Musical for grades 6-8
- Student Council
- Athletics for grades 5-8
- Mighty Miliers running group (grades 3-8)
- Girls Scouts and Boy Scouts
Annually during late September and early October students in grades 3, 5, and 7 participate in the Rockford Diocese testing. Beginning in September 2015, the Diocese adopted a new version of the Iowa Test of Basic Skills called the Iowa Assessments. Teh iowa assessmenst are more rigorous and challenging as they assess studnets on higher learning standards. These tests measure each student’s progress in the subject and skill areas identified. Teachers and administrators review these results for the purpose of identifying individual student’s strengths and weaknesses, as well as making improvements to the school’s curriculum.
The scores indicated in the following chart shows the average grade equivalent for all students in that grade level since 2015 for all assessed areas.
Children at Cathedral of St. Peter School score above grade level in every subject and skill assessed on the Iowas Assessments. This is attributed to the high quality of the teaching staff, an excellent curriculum which focuses upon challenging the students, and high academic expectations.
The following link, 2015-16 Iowa Assessment Scores.pdf, provides bar graphs that indicate grade equivalencies in the core subjects of Reading, English, mathematics, Science, and Social Studies for the three grade levels tested.
Available at the school office. Financial aid is available to assist families with tuition or other expenses.
St. Peter Cathedral School is fully recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education and the Rockford Diocese Catholic Education Office
What parents say about Cathedral of St. Peter School:
“Teachers and staff treat my daughter as if she were their own child. My daughter loves all of the teachers she has had so far as well as all of the other staff members that she has worked with!!”
“Sense of community. Great faculty and staff - very involved with the students and responsive to parents.”
“St. Peter's is like home away from home. We feel like our child is safe at school.”
“The close community atmosphere and the quality education.”
“St. Peters is like one big family. I feel very secure and happy having my child attend.”
Hula Hoop for Health - click on You Tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0R7PNntQc
Day of Service for Education - click on You Tube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrsV9BMU1l4